Top 15 Leadership, Management & Team Building Retreats in the US – 2013
Offsite Meeting Checklist & Guide to Effective Meeting Management
Offsite meetings can provide a cost effective way to bring several benefits to your organization, and team, if you know how to take full advantage of them through choice of venue, proper planning, execution and event follow-up. At ManagingAmericans.com we believe the right venue provides the ability to keep your group focused on creativity, teamwork & generating better business results once they return to work. There are many beautiful, relaxing and luxurious meeting locations across the USA, but a few devote their efforts toward achieving what we see as an extraordinary opportunity to influence positive change in performance. That is our basis for ranking the Top 15 Leadership, Management & Team Building Retreats in the US for 2013.
Ranking Criteria Includes:
- Tailored Leadership, Management & Team Building Programs
- Private & State-of-the-Art Meeting Facilities
- Aesthetically Unique Venues
- Team & Individual Rest and Reflection Activities
Top 15 Leadership, Management & Team Building Retreats in the USA – 2013
1) The Thayer Hotel At West Point – West Point, NY
- Customized leadership programs from onsite Military & Corporate Leaders, state-of-the-art educational & meeting spaces, Prestigious landmark hotel overlooking the Hudson River and historic West Point Military Academy campus, one of kind team building activities utilizing over 200 years of military leader-development and applying it to the corporate sector.
2) MIT Endicott House – Dedham, MA
- Customized innovation & leadership programs available and organized by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, beautifully landscaped private grounds situated on 25 acres, fantastic meeting and training rooms, the original site of the Sloan School Senior Executive Programs, customized team building activities.
3) Graylyn International Conference Center – Winston-Salem, NC
- Private 55-acre estate rich in history as the home of Bowman Gray, Chairman of R.J. Reynolds and son of the founder of Wachovia Bank, extensive world class meeting facilities and team building programs dedicated to corporate groups and retreats.
4) Q Center – St. Charles, IL
- Largest conference center in the Midwest focused only on group business, extensive facilities and sprawling grounds along the Fox River, unique indoor and outdoor team building programs.
5) Carey Conference Center – Rensselaerville, NY
- Historic 100-acre estate overlooking Lake Myosotis, specializing in corporate retreats, team building and training, 5 unique residences/facilities with seminar, breakout room and auditorium seating.
6) Whispering Pines Conference Center – West Greenwich, RI
- Quite country setting with modern conference facilities, professional development & management seminars available through the University of Rhode Island, extensive team building programs & challenges.
7) Beaver Hollow Conference Center – Java Center, NY
- One of the largest team building parks in the USA with a rustic resort atmosphere, private tranquil setting located between Buffalo & Rochester NY, extensive meeting and conference rooms.
8) Postoak Lodge & Retreat – Tulsa, OK
- Once a private corporate training center, beautiful campus with several conference rooms and team building experiences focused on solution building and outdoor adventure courses.
9) Interlaken Resort & Conference Center – Lakeville, CT
- 30-acre campus like setting surrounded by mountains, lakes and landscapes, several fully equipped meeting rooms with updated technology, unique team building programs from experienced facilitators.
10) Glen Cove Mansion Hotel & Conference Center – Long Island, NY
- Historic mansion converted to a state of the art conference center, situated on 55 secluded acres along Long Island’s coast, beautiful state of the art meeting rooms and unique vintage field day team building activities.
11) Gainey Conference Center – Owatonna, MN
- Former horse farm converted to a conference center and classrooms managed by the University of St. Thomas, views of rolling hills and countryside are the backdrop of creative thinking, teamwork and strategic planning challenges, unique communication and leadership programs utilizing horses.
12) Montara Farm Retreats – Clermont, GA
- Private mountain view estate located one hour north of Atlanta, all inclusive retreat center with leadership consultants and team facilitators on staff, creative facilitated activities including project management, strategic planning, communication & multi-cultural collaboration.
13) Wooded Glen Retreat and Conference Center – Henryville, IN
- 20k square foot complex featuring 4 separate meeting facilities and breakout areas, team building challenge course and over 20 indoor and outdoor actives focused on thinking and communication skills.
14) Tarrytown House Estate & Conference Center – Tarrytown, NY
- The Nation’s first conference center with 30 meeting rooms and board suites, beautiful grounds with lots of traditional activities, creative philanthropic team building activities.
15) Mohonk Mountain House – New Paltz, NY
- Victorian castle overlooking Lake Mohonk in New York’s Hudson Valley. A top rated resort that features extensive team building activities & challenges.
Here are some honorable mentions for unique corporate retreats:
(Alphabetized by State)
The 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa – Eureka Springs, AR
Enchantment Resort – Sedona, AZ
The Resort at Pelican Hill – Newport Coast, CA
Plantation on Crystal River – Crystal River, FL
Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort – Miramar Beach, FL
Cabin Bluff – Woodbine, GA
Chateau Elan Inn – Braselton, GA
Hill’s Resort – Priest Lake, ID
Osprey Point Retreat & Conference Center – Royal Park, MD
The Resort at Paws Up – Greenough, MT
Pinehurst Resort – Pinehurst, NC
Chimney Hill Estate & Ol’Barn Inn – Labertville, NJ
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa – Lake Placid, NY
Oheka Castle – Huntington, NY
The Lodge at Woodloch – Hawley, PA
Wild Dunes – Isle of Palms, SC
Talaris Conference Center – Seattle, WA
Brush Creek Ranch – Saratoga, WY
If you are looking to host a creative day meeting, here are some unique alternatives:
Saint Clements Castle – Portland, CT
Catalyst Ranch – Chicago, IL
Suite-D – Carmel, IN
WorkShop – Louisville, KY
Magellan Idea Center – Charlotte, NC
The Leadership Center – Aurora, NE
SoHoSoleil – New York City, NY
Boost – Cincinnati, OH
Northeast Conference Center – Westerville, OH
Sparkspace – Columbus, OH
White Space – Dallas, TX
Making the most of your company’s time, and the time of your meeting participants requires the ability to plan, execute and follow-up effectively with company objectives in mind. Download our Free Offsite Meeting Checklist to ensure you are ready for your next strategic, leadership, management or team building event.
Written by Lisa Woods, President Lisa Woods Consulting & Founder of ManagingAmericans.com
Lisa is a dynamic business leader & author located in Western New York with more than 20 years experience leading, managing and driving growth in the corporate world. Today she partners with business leaders to understand their vision, identify internal and external roadblocks, define a practical strategic path forward and guide a successful transformation. This work includes strategy definition & goal setting, organizational design, facilitating team buy-in, establishing visual metrics, internal and external research studies, business feasibility assessments, and investor insight into organizational strength, weakness & strategic opportunity. She helps business leaders drive growth & increase profits.
Strategic Consulting ǀ Management Consulting: Strategy Realized